Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Introducing French author Marie Laval - and a story of gypsies and romance #WRWbuzz


We're thrilled to welcome the first of our World Romance Writers to the blog today. It's a great pleasure to welcome French author Marie Laval. 

Bienvenue, Marie - good to meet you here!

Where do you live, Marie?


I am French, originally from the beautiful city of Lyon. I have been living in the Rossendale Valley in Lancashire (in the north of England) for a number of years, and have almost got used to the rain. And I never managed to lose my French accent!


The French accent is so romantic! What genre do you write?
Horsemen of the Camargue
(image courtesy of Pixabay)

I write contemporary and historical romance, always with a hint of mystery and paranormal. 

Please tell us about your story for the Letterbox Love Stories anthology. 

It's a historical short story set in the wild marshes of the Camargue in the South of France. I called it SONS OF THE WIND which is a direct translation for 'Fils du Vent', the name gypsies call themselves.

That sounds so romantic. I LOVE the title! Why did you choose this setting?

The Camargue is a beautiful place near the sea where white horses and black bulls roam free, where there are hundreds of pink flamingos and wild birds. The little town of Les Saintes Maries is very picturesque, and is the setting of a gypsy festival in May and October every year. 

What a wonderful place that must be! Just perfect for a love story :) Where is your favourite place in the world?

This is a very difficult question. I haven't travelled that much, but I suppose it would have to be my hometown of Lyon. I love walking in the old St George and St Jean districts, with their cobblestone streets and quirky Renaissance buildings, or along the river Saône... 

Renaissance building, Lyon 
Lyon is a beautiful and unique city. I can see why it's your favourite place. What is your idea of the perfect holiday?

A holiday in the countryside or the seaside in France with my loved ones - partner, children, sisters and family and friends. It wouldn't have to be posh at all, just a big house where we could all enjoy being together.

Sounds lovely. Wish we could all come too! What sources do you use for inspiration in your writing?

Anything and everything can trigger an idea. A verse in a poem, a song, a painting, a photograph or a memory. For SONS OF THE WIND I remembered a lovely summer holiday I once spent there. The landscape was breathtaking. One evening we had a meal on a terrace in Les Saintes Maries and some 'gardians' started singing and playing the guitar. It was wonderful. I never forgot that evening... 


What do you do when you aren’t writing?


I work! I know, this is really sad. I plan lessons, I mark books, and I generally worry about being not good enough.


I've read many of your gripping and romantic stories, Marie - you're a wonderful writer! Where do you write, and why does that spot work for you?

I used to work in my tiny dining room, but I have just moved house and will soon enjoy the luxury of having my very own study. 

It's great to have your very own space! If you had to marry someone from film, books, or television, who would that be?

Well, I would marry one of my heroes, Helena. The problem would be to decide between them all since I have fallen in love with every single one of them!

:) Do you believe in love at first sight?

Yes, although it may not always lead to a deep and long lasting relationship.

Please give us the blurb for Sons of the Wind: Ten years after her brother disappeared in the marshes of the Camargue, Venetia Rigby receives a letter suggesting he is still alive. Will Philippe Dantès, half-gipsy master of Terres Mortes, help her find him when he has his own demons to fight?

I can't wait to read it!

You can find out more about Marie on her Amazon page, on Facebook, or on Twitter
Please get in touch - she loves to hear from readers!


We look forward to reading Marie Laval's Sons of the Wind in the Letterbox Love Stories anthology - coming soon!

Thanks for dropping in today, Marie. It's been lovely getting to know you. If you have any questions for Marie, or any comments at all, please let us know by visiting us on Facebook or at the WRW Reader's Group. We'd love to hear from you!

Final image is of Flamingos in the Camargue - (image courtesy of Pixabay)