Monday, June 20, 2016

Author Jenny Twist and a romantic story set in the Spanish Civil War #WRWbuzz


Today we're welcoming British author Jenny Twist to the WRW blog. Jenny is here to talk about her page-turning and unusual short story for the World Romance Writers' Letterbox Love Stories collection - which will be released soon!

Good to meet you, Jenny!

Please introduce yourself in a few words and tell us where you live.

I’m Jenny Twist and I live in Southern Spain. My house is in the mountains, facing the sea. On a clear day you can see the Rif mountains of Africa. You can find out more about my house here.

What a stunning place to live!


What genre do you write, Jenny?

I don’t write in any particular genre. My stories range across romance, horror, science fiction, myth and historical fiction. This makes it fiendishly difficult to categorise me, I suppose most of them would fit loosely into Speculative Fiction.

Please tell us about your story for the Letterbox Love Stories anthology.

This particular story is about a young Englishman who joined the International Brigade fighting the Fascists in Spain during the Spanish Civil War. He was in the last battle for Malaga, fighting beside a young and beautiful resistance fighter, Rosa. Forced to return to England, he is haunted by her memory.


Why did you choose this setting?

Jenny's house in the Spanish mountains
I chose Spain because I live here and I know a lot about its history. Some years ago I wrote a book about a young woman who went to live in Franco’s Spain. I did a lot of research for that book, including interviewing my neighbours who lived through it. But even so, I found out more later and I wanted to write about that.


Where is your favourite place in the world?

This is my favourite place in the world. I wake up every morning and look out at that magnificent view to the sea and feel like the luckiest person on earth.

People used to ask me whether I still felt as if I were on holiday. I don’t. I never did. This isn’t a holiday. It’s home.

I can see from your photo exactly why you love it!

What is your idea of the perfect holiday?

When it comes to holidays we like to go to interesting places with a nice climate. There’s nothing we like better than spending the day stumbling over ancient ruins, interspersed with stopping to have nice things to eat.

What sources do you use for inspiration in your writing?

I have never had to look for inspiration in my writing. The ideas come rather more quickly than I can deal with them.

What do you do when you aren’t writing?

The Temple of Theseus
I must confess that when I’m not writing I spend most of my time reading, knitting and doing puzzles. Sorry to be so boring.

Nothing boring about either of those. I love to knit, too!

Where do you write, and why does that spot work for you?

I have a study that doubles as a guest room and I spend most of my time in there, beavering away at the latest project or wasting my time on Twitter. I live in such a lovely place that I daren’t write outside. I would be continually distracted.



If you had to marry someone from film, books, or television, who would that be?

If I had to marry someone from film, books, or television (and I would like to stress that there is no way I would prefer any of the possibilities to my own dear Mr Twist) I think it would probably be Harrison Ford. I’ve never quite got over that scene in ‘The Witness’ where he and the Amish girl are dancing to the car radio.

Do you believe in love at first sight?

Do I believe in love at first sight? I certainly believe in lust at first sight. I rather think love takes a little longer to develop.

Here is the blurb for The Minstrel Boy:

In 1936 a band of students went off to Spain to fight in the Spanish Civil War. Only one came home . . . and he was haunted by the girl he left behind.

Jenny's Social links:



*

We love the stunning location of your house, Jenny. What a wonderful place for a writer!
Thanks for dropping in today. It's been lovely getting to know you. If you have any questions for Jenny, or any comments at all, please let us know by visiting us on Facebook or at the WRW Reader's Group. We'd love to hear from you!